DirecTV Now has a pretty nice deal currently, offering over 100 channels for $35 month. Even better, if you pre-pay for 3 months ($105), you get an Apple TV for free ($150). This is for a limited time and will lock you into the discounted price point, so if you are interested, it is best to try it out now before it’s too late!
I have been using the service for almost a week now and I have some mixed feelings:
- Cheap! Tons of channels for $35/mo.
- No Limits — you can watch from anywhere in the US. No home only limitation like Playstation Vue.
- Decent amount of VOD.
- Most channels get 72 hours of rewind.
- Cheap HBO/Cinnemax.
- Once the price goes back to $60/mo, then the service isn’t any better than others.
- VOD appears to be delayed. The shows I have look at are out of date by a month or more. Hulu is up to date, however.
- VOD has commercials, unlike Hulu’s ad-free plan.
- No pause/resume.
- No DVR — forget about recording anything!
- No Android TV Support (yet)
As it is, it is basically useful for live TV only. VOD, DVR, or pause/resume are sorely lacking. I got on board for the Apple TV and the possibility that it may improve in the near future, locking in the lower rate. Once the price goes back up, then honestly, cable is a better alternative for the price (at least for me).